-->
Flaky, Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
Ever wanted to know the secret to the flakiest, the fluffiest, the BEST Southern buttermilk biscuits? I’m here to tell you. Follow along as I take you step by step through my recipe for my favorite biscuits in all the land (and the number one easy secret to making them perfect!).


I don’t have even a skosh of Southern blood in me, but my love of the region’s biscuits runs deep. It hasn’t always been this way, though — in my childhood, I had one too many run-ins with dry, crumbly, powdery biscuits that left nothing behind but the taste of flour in my mouth. I swore off biscuits for a good long while, that is, until I was old enough (and smart enough?) to try making them in my own kitchen.

That journey, however, is peppered with its own experiences of flat, dense, under-risen biscuits with no flavor. What is such a simple food can sometimes be so finicky and frustrating. And YET. And yet I knew I couldn’t give up, because there had to be a way to redeem all those years of subpar biscuits and it had to be done by me, in my kitchen. Preferably with lots of butter.

I am here to tell you I finally figured it all out, guys and gals. I think I have found the most perfectly flaky, fluffy Southern buttermilk biscuits I will ever be able to make at home. And they’re SO EASY, too. Which means if you follow along with me on this journey to buttery biscuitdom, by the end you, too, will be a biscuit lover (if you weren’t already).




Ingredients


  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen or refrigerated, plus more for greasing baking sheet
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (measured out with the scoop and sweep method)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cold buttermilk

Instructions


  1. Heat oven to 450°F. Generously grease bottom of a baking sheet with butter or line with parchment paper.
  2. Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small bowl — or, cut butter with a knife into very small cubes. Place bowl in freezer.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter it’s the size of small peas. Pour in cold buttermilk and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms (do not overmix).
  4. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; very gently pat into a rough ball. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times.
  5. Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. Cut dough into 12 equal squares; transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing biscuits at least 1 inch apart. Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough.
  6. Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. Serve immediately.

Recipe From : Girl Vs Dough

LihatTutupKomentar

Histats